Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Hatchet by Gary Paulsen

I read this book right after my Language Arts class was added to my schedule. I was searching for a book for my class to read as a whole. I was only a few chapters into the book when I decided not to use this book in my class. Now that I have finished it, I wish I had decided on this book instead of the one I chose. The underlying messages in this book are very deep and could really create some intense class discussions. The story ends kind of abruptly, but that could be beneficial to a creative writing assignment. I have already decided that my class will be reading this book next.
This story details the journey of a 13-year old boy named Brian who survives a plane crash only to be stranded in the Canadian wilderness. Brian is alone and terrified with only the clothes on his back and a small hatchet. Wild animals and unpredictable weather are just a few of the dangers Brain has to face in his struggle to merely survive. To find out what becomes of young Brian, you must read this book!

No comments:

Post a Comment