Friday, September 17, 2010

The lion's den!

I was finally able to meet with the teacher who has been teaching my math and finance classes since school started. She is incredibly sweet and was extremely helpful, but I kind of feel like I am walking into a lion's den. I have 2 6th grade finance classes that have no frameworks or pacing guide. The workbooks have not been used, only one grade has been taken, and the only information I have to go by is a website she has been using to get ideas.

My math classes are pretty much the same. There are a few check marks on the pacing guide to show what has been covered so far this year, but that is about as far as it goes. My technology is quite limited, as well, but I kind of expected that. I have a computer with no printer and an overhead projector. Guess it is time for some major grant writing!

I felt pretty overwhelmed when I left the meeting, but I had a lot of joy in my heart. My pre-algebra class made beautiful posters that welcomed me and hung them up on the bulletin board. That board gave me all the motivation I need to overcome these obstacles! I love these kids already, and I have never met them. I can't wait until Monday. I have high hopes that I can do some real good at this school and with these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment